Los Encinos State Historic Park, at the corner of Balboa and Ventura Blvd. in Encino, California, was the hub of Rancho El Encino. Located in the San Fernando Valley, this California rancho includes the original nine-room de la Ossa Adobe, the two-story limestone Garnier building, a blacksmith shop, a natural spring, and a pond.
The natural spring provided a year-round source of water for the ancient village of Siutcanga “Place of the Oak Tree”, home to the Tataviam and Tongva people, for thousands of years. An excellent description of this village was recorded as part of the 1769 Portola Expedition. This Spanish expedition reached the San Fernando Valley and named it “El Valle de Santa Catalina de Bononia de Los Encinos” (The Valley of St. Catherine of Bononia of the Oaks).
By 1840, Tiburcio Cayo was raising forty to fifty cattle at Rancho Encino and began negotiating with the padres as San Fernando Mission for title to the land and probably emancipation under the secularization laws. In spring of 1845, under the new regime of Governor Pio Pico, Francisco Papabubaba, Roque, and Roman petitioned to secure a deed to one square league at Rancho Encino. All three had been living at Encino probably since at least 1840 under the leadership and mentorship of Tiburcio Cayo. The three petitioners for the land grant to Encino were from different lineages. Francisco Papabubaba and Roque married daughters of Tiburcio Cayo, Paula Cayo and Agueda respectively. Roque was born at Santa Barbara Mission and probably married Agueda in the early 1840s, and he took up residence at Encino. By 1846, both Roque and Agueda were classified in the mission record as “liberes” and residents of Rancho Encino. By 1843, Roman, whose baptism name is given as Ramon, married Paula, who had Chumash lineage ties to Simi Valley and Humaligo, the latter a village near present day Malibu. Roman’s ancestors on his father’s side were from Sanja, perhaps a Chumash village since it does not have the Takic place name ending. Francisco Papabubaba’s ancestors were from the Tataviam village of Chaguayanga and his wife Paula Cayo had maternal ancestors from Siutcanga, the lineage historically living at Encino. Paula Cayo’s father, Tiburcio Cayo was born in the village of Tapuu. Tiburcio negotiated with San Fernando Mission and he was allowed to live and maintain the rancho at Encino with his family and relations by 1840. In April 9, 1844, Tiburcio Cayo died. In 1845 after the Californio rebellion of early 1845 and with the change in the Mexican governor for the California Department, Francisco Papabubaba, Roman, and Rogue, petitioned Governor Pio Pico for title to one square league at Rancho Encino, and on July 24, 1845 the land was granted jointly to all thee petitioners.
Located along a significant travel route between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, the property passed through many hands between the 1840s and the early 20th century. Today, the park contains exhibits related to the agricultural enterprises of Rancho El Encino’s various owners, including Mission Indian, Mexican Californio, French, and French Basque families.
Los Encinos State Historic Park
16756 Moorpark St.
Encino, CA 91436-1068