Misión del Señor San Fernando Rey de España (Mission San Fernando Rey de España) Seventeenth established, 3,126 entries of continuous baptismal records from September 8, 1797 to September 4, 1855 of gathered converts from the Indian villages in the geographically surrounding area ranging from present day Santa Catalina Island and Malibu in the west, Cahuenga and Encino in the south, Tuhunga in the east, and as far north as present-day Tejon ranch. The village at Mission San Fernando was Achois Comihanga, on the afternoon of the founding day, ten native children, five boys and five girls, were baptized, having the first boy baptized named Fernando Maria. The villages commonly recognized in the literature for the San Fernando Indians were not corporate entities, but rather were extended lineages.
The Takic speakers the Tataviam, Kitanemuk and Tongva were patrilineal and patrilocal, while the Chumash lineages were matrilineal. Mission San Fernando recruited from all four groups, and at the mission considerable political, social, and cultural organization and identity were retained and practiced by the San Fernando Mission Indians. At the mission the Indian families generally married among each other, and created new forms of relations through god-parenting introduced by the Spanish padres. The padres introduced the Indians to farming, adobe building techniques, trades, sheep and cattle raising, Catholic religion, and electoral political forms.
Mission San Fernando Rey de España
15151 San Fernando Mission Blvd.
Mission Hills, CA 91345